Healthy Eating Doesn't Have to be Torture.


By Isabel De Los Rios, Certified Nutritionist

I think it's so funny that many people associate healthy eating with torture.

Last summer I was at my father's company barbecue. As he introduced me to his fellow co-workers, I must have heard at least a million times "Oh, you're the nutritionist? Well, I want to enjoy my life so I just eat whatever I want." By the time I got to the third person that made this statement, I just figured I should start telling people I was the inventor of the Hostess cupcake and maybe they would like me better.

I do think if you eat bland, boring and tasteless food every day, yes, that can be torture. Just as feeding someone unhealthy fast food could be considered a form of torture in itself (or slow murder, however you want to define it).

That's why I always keep the new recipes coming. Many times I have to tweak the recipes I find a bit to fit into The Diet Solution Principles, but every once in a while I find a few that are perfect.

That is the case with the 2 recipes below. My colleague and fellow nutritionist, Antonio Valladeres has put together what I think is the best Recipe book to accompany the Diet Solution Principles and he was kind enough to share these recipes with us.

Actually, I don't do his book justice by calling it just a "Recipe" book. It is so much more than that. Not only will you learn great new and delicious ways to make your healthy food, you'll also learn exactly how to set up your kitchen with the right utensils and cookware, exactly how to avoid nasty chemicals from certain pots and pans, alternatives to grains, the healthiest oils to use and so much more! Antonio's got my full "seal of approval" on this book.

You can check out this amazing food guide for yourself here:

http://healthyurbaneating.com

Lemon Pepper Chicken with Turkey Sausage

-4 legs of organic chicken
-2 large Italian turkey sausage
-1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
-1 tablespoon of garlic salt
-Sea salt, black pepper to taste
-2 lemons squeezed and two slices for garnish

Pre-heat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Mix seasoning in a bowl. Place chicken, turkey, and sausage on a flat roasting sheet or pan. Sprinkle with half of seasoning. Cook 15 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with remaining seasoning. Continue basting and turning for 15 minutes and cook through. Turn once more then pour lemon juice over the legs and the sausage. Garnish with lemon slices.

from http://healthyurbaneating.com

Carob Chip Cookies

-1/3 cup of walnut oil
-1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 organic egg
-¾ cup of brown rice flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 cup of carob chips unsweetened
-Dash of all-spice optional

Grease two baking sheets and preheat oven to 375° F. In a medium size bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Beat the egg and stir into the oil mixture. Gradually stir in flour and baking soda to form a stiff batter. Fold in carob chips and drop the batter into the baking sheets by teaspoons. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cookies are lightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool. Serve with almond or rice milk.

from http://healthyurbaneating.com

Happy Cooking!